Friday, October 9, 2015

The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin

 Sept. 19, 2015

A set of sliding puzzles, a fascinating species or two, a braid of a storyline. The Fifth Season has all of that, and stakes that made my heart race -- an unfair world, children forced to adulthood too soon, murderous fear and a hideous form of servitude. Characters I cared deeply about, and a rich fully developed culture, full of history (if not much potential future). 

Two-thirds of the way through, I set it down. I needed to know what happens, but the characters had been given a respite of sorts.  I knew it wasn't over, couldn't be over, and had some idea of what might be coming. I didn't want to go there yet. 

After a rough morning, I decided the book's ending might at least give me an "at least I ain't them" moment (to say the least) so I finished it. Had to go back and re-read the climactic scene, even though I knew what would happen, what had to happen, and why ... and yet she surprised me even there, but pulled no punches.

I love complicated stories, ones that respect the reader, and this book left me satisfied. Ms. Jemisin wove three story lines together without explanation -- I figured the first out last, but never would have guessed who the narrator was. 

And evil eating Earth, as her characters say, the story's not done yet. 

(Wrote this and the previous post some time ago and just realized I hadn't published either). 


No comments:

Post a Comment